Thursday, November 27, 2008

All The Best... American Thanksgiving = Football

The NFL is my American Idol.
Does anyone else marvel at the prestige and colossal presence of the NFL like I do? I might be wrong here, and if I am please inform me, but has any other major sports league been able to, had the audacity to, and effectiveness to latch-on to a national holiday and make it their own. Because the NFL by all accounts took American Thanksgiving and turned it into Thanksforfootball day. Let it be clear that I would never undermine the meaning of Thanksgiving or ignore the importance of its historical tradition, however, if the NFL could own a holiday, it would buy it. Actually, it seemingly already owns it and would never sell it. On the last Thursday of every November, American families gather to feast and watch football, that for me exemplifies the brilliance of the NFL marketing genuis. In terms of television ratings, the Thanksgiving day games annually rank as the most watched games of the NFL regular season. For most american families, football on Thanksgiving is as common as the Turkey itself. I wonder if, obviously hypothetically speaking, still I wonder if the NFL didn't host games on the last Thursday of November for American Thanksgiving, would everyone forget about it this prized holiday?


Ok, fine. Most wouldn't, but I probably would.

No comments: